Thursday, June 9, 2011

Garam Masala

So I know most people just buy premade garam masala from an indian store (at least I used to) but ever since I've become a bit of a spice junkie I really just like to make it myself. So here is what you need:

1/2 cup whole cumin
2 tbsp whole coriander
1.5'' cinnamon
7-8 green cardamom
2-3 black cardamom
2 tsp cloves
1/8 nutmeg (I typically leave this out or use a few pinches preground nutmeg)
2 blades mace
1 tbsp black peppercorns
2 star anise
4 bay leaves
1 tsp fennel seeds

Roast spices on the stove until fragrant but not burnt. Cool completely and grind everything to a powder. Store in an airtight container. You can use this in most anything from a chicken curry to kabobs as it is a very versatile mix but because the spices are freshly roasted and ground it is very potent and a good idea to start out with a little, taste and gradually add more to your cooking.

2 comments:

  1. is this the recipe for the thing you put on thay-baray?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No. What on on earth is a thay-baray? Dahi-baray? That's chat masala...

    ReplyDelete