Sunday, June 12, 2011

Scrumptious Baklava

Baklava has got to be my absolute favorite dessert. And until I tried to make it on my own I thought it was some labor intensive mystery. But it is actually really easy! And way more cost effective to make yourself :). You'll need:

  • 1 (16 ounce) package phyllo dough

  • 1 pound chopped nuts (pecans, almonds, walnut or pistachio or a combination!)

  • 1 cup butter

  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

  • 1 cup water

  • 1 cup white sugar

  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

  • 1/2 cup honey (I personally prefer orange blossom)

  • 1 tablespoon rose water (totally optional, I do not use this)


  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees F(175 degrees C). Butter the bottoms and sides of a 9x13 inch pan. Chop nuts and toss with cinnamon. Set aside. Unroll phyllo dough. Cut appropriately to fit in pan.

    Now there are two ways you can layer this:
    1. (A more Greek baklava) Place two sheets of dough in pan, butter thoroughly. Repeat until you have 8 sheets layered. Sprinkle 2 - 3 tablespoons of nut mixture on top. Top with two sheets of dough, butter, nuts, layering as you go. The top layer should be about 6 - 8 sheets deep.
    2. (More Middle Eastern Style): Layer half the sheets alternating with butter and mix some butter with the nuts to press all of them into a thick layer. Layer the remaining sheets alternating with butter.
    I typically use the Greek way.

    Using a sharp knife cut into diamond, square, or triangular shapes all the way to the bottom of the pan. You may cut into 4 long rows the make cuts of your choice. Bake for about 50 minutes until baklava is golden and crisp.
    Make sauce before baklava is baking. Boil sugar and water until sugar is melted. Add vanilla and honey (and rose water if you so choose). Simmer for about 20 minutes. Let cool completely. You can do this step before everything else if you wish because the secret to a crisp baklava is either completely cooled baklava and hot sauce or cool sauce and hot baklava (I choose the latter, it just seems more time efficient).
    Remove baklava from oven and immediately spoon sauce over it. Let cool and enjoy!

    6 comments:

    1. I completely concur. These Baklava are the BEST I've ever had. Ever better than Shatila !

      ReplyDelete
    2. That is the sweetest (pun intended) compliment considering how much you normally hate desserts :). But I'm not sure about the whole being better than Shatila part ;)

      ReplyDelete
    3. I definitely need to try this recipe. When we get baklava, we usually get it from Costco or online at shatila.com, so I really want to try this recipe!
      I'll let you know how it turns out! :)
      Thanks for sharing!

      ReplyDelete
    4. thanks for the AMAZING comment on my blog :) and the palette was around $40 dollars :) mwahahaha

      ReplyDelete
    5. I just did a new blog Miss Spamtastic!

      ReplyDelete